The Bregninge Stone on Lolland
   
   

MAINPAGE

BREGNINGE L

the runestone on Lolland

General Info
Map of Runes
The Runes
FALSTER
Sønder_Kirkeby
FYN
Bregninge F
Glavendrup
Faaborg
Nørre Nærå
Rønninge
LOLLAND
Brenninge L
Skovlænge
Sædinge
Tillitse
Tirsted
Tågerup
ZEALAND
Alsted
Eggeslevmagle
Fjenneslev
Flemløse 1
Flemløse 2
Gørlev 1
Gørlev 2
Kallerup
Sandby 2 (+1)
Sandby 3
Snoldelev
Sønderby
Tryggevælde
Tårnborg
Vordingborg
JUTLAND
ANCIENT STONES

In 1627, when the Bregninge runestone was first drawn and recorded, it was part of the churchyard wall, north of Bregninge church. Locals in Bregninge could tell that the rune stone originally stood on a hill near the church.
In 1652 a number of rune stones were to be sent to Copenhagen to protect them from destruction. From Lolland four stone were to be removed. Two of them still stand where they stood in 1652, while the stone from Tirsted  and the one from Bregninge was transported to Nysted. 
There it remained, for unknown reasons, until 1799. The Bregninge stone lay on the harbour square faceup. In years passing bye, it was used for various practical purposes like knocking on the dried fish. In 1815 it was sailed to Copenhagen and in 1817 set up at Trinity Church / Round Tower, where the Old-Northern Museum, which later became the National Museum, was housed. After 163 years, it finally reached its destination.

Found: Bregninge kirke, Grønnegadevej 45B, 4892 Kettinge
Present location: Nationalmuseet, Frederiksholms Kanal 12, 1220 København K

The stone is about 163 centimetre high, 32 centimetres thick and 175 centimetre wide at the bottom. The rock species is the gritty, grey granite. It was erected in between 900 and 1020 and carved by the same person who made the Tågerup stone, there are now built into Tågerup church porch south of Holeby.

The inscription is: "Āsa gærði kumbl þǿsi æft Tōka, sun sinn, ok Tōka Haklangs sonaR." which mean: Ása made this monument in memory of Tóki, her and Tóki Haklangsson's son.