The Rønninge Stone
   

MAINPAGE

RØNNINGE

the runestone

General Info
Map of Runes
The Runes
FALSTER
Sønder_Kirkeby
FYN
Bregninge F
Glavendrup
Faaborg
Nørre Nærå
Rønninge
LOLLAND
Brenninge L
Skovlænge
Sædinge
Tillitse
Tirsted
Tågerup
ZEALAND
Alsted
Eggeslevmagle
Fjenneslev
Flemløse 1
Flemløse 2
Gørlev 1
Gørlev 2
Kallerup
Sandby 2 (+1)
Sandby 3
Snoldelev
Sønderby
Tryggevælde
Tårnborg
Vordingborg
JUTLAND
ANCIENT STONES

This runestone found in Rønninge on Fyn in 1627. Skonvig found the stone here "at a stone bridge" to which the accordantly to legends had to be moved from "a mount of rocks". Later, it disappeared shortly before the war with Sweden. In 1658, after the king's had order the stone sent to Copenhagen, the outbreak of war meant the stone only reached Kerteminde, where it was used, but recovered in 1852 in Kerteminde during the demolition of a house in whose because it had been embedded. It was once more used as the foundation of another building from which, however, it was removed and placed in the old cemetery in Kerteminde in 1949. Now it stands in Rønninge church porch.

Found: Several times, first near Rønninge.
Present location:
Rønninge Bygade 10,5550 Langeskov.

The stone is granite, measuring 104 centimetres in height, 62 centimetres wide and 63 centimetres thick. It was originally carved around 900 to 950.

The inscription: "Sōti satti stæin þannsi æft Æilæif, brōður sinn, sun Āsgauts Rauðumskialda"
Translated: Sóti placed this stone in memory of Eileifr, his brother, Ásgautr Red-shield's son (or son of Asgautr with the red birthmark).