The Tryggevælde Stone
   

MAINPAGE

TRYGGEVÆLDE

the runestone

General Info
Map of Runes
The Runes
FALSTER
Sønder_Kirkeby
FYN
Bregninge F
Glavendrup
Faaborg
Nørre Nærå
Rønninge
LOLLAND
Brenninge L
Skovlænge
Sædinge
Tillitse
Tirsted
Tågerup
ZEALAND
Alsted
Eggeslevmagle
Fjenneslev
Flemløse 1
Flemløse 2
Gørlev 1
Gørlev 2
Kallerup
Sandby 2 (+1)
Sandby 3
Snoldelev
Sønderby
Tryggevælde
Tårnborg
Vordingborg
JUTLAND
ANCIENT STONES

The stone was mentioned for the first time in 1597, where it stood in Tryggevellet Castle yard, moved here approximately 1550 by the vassal Wobislaw Wobitzer, unknown from where, but it is said to have been at a nearby mount (Keyserhøyen / Kishøj or a mount at Hårlev Cemetery).
The strange holes are thought to be made for transporting the stone somewhere in history.

Found: Tryggevellet Castle yard, Køgevej 67, 4653 Karise
Present location: Nationalmuseet, Frederiksholms Kanal 12, 1220 København K

The stone is granite, 325 centimetres high, up to 124 centimetres wide and 30-45 centimetres thick. It was carved between 900 and 950.

The inscription: "Ragnhildr, systiR Ulfs, satti stæin þannsi ok gærði haug þannsi æft, ok skæið þessi, Gunnulf, ver sinn, glamulan mann, sun Nærfis. FāiR verða nū fǿddiR þæim bætri. Sā verði at ræddi(?) es ælti(?) stæin þannsi eða heðan dragi."
Translated: Ragnhildr, Ulfr's sister, placed this stone and made this mound, and this ship(-setting), in memory of her husband Gunnulfr, a clamorous man, Nerfir's son. Few will now be born better than him. A warlock(?) be he who damages(?) this stone or drags it (away) from here.