Allegedly it was
found around 1830 on a field near the
border between the parishes of Holeby
and Sædinge, where it was endangered by
agricultural activities. Therefore, a
hole was dug into which the stone was
sunk. But it was not deep enough, for in
1854 the stone lay on the surface again.
It was too heavy to move, so it was
split into nine pieces to transport him
to Nebbellunge. It was rediscovered
around 1859 in connection with ploughing
near an old Fords. It seems like the
runes only were discovered here. The
pieces were collected several times.
Present location: Stiftsmuseet in
Maribo. Banegårdspladsen 11, 4930 Maribo
The stone is
red and gray granite and 174 centimetres
high, 79 centimetres wide and 69
centimetres thick. The inscription was
made around 970-1020.
"Þōrvī gat gørvan stæin þannsi [æft]
Krōk, ver sinn, en hann vas [þā?] allra
driū[gastr](?) sundrsvēa ok suðrdana.
Kvǫl āt ha[l]/ha[nn], af normænnum sem
bæstr. Hann vas [þā?] sundrsvēa ok"
Translated: Þyrvé got this stone
made ... Krókr, her husband, and he was
[then](?) the most resolute(?) of all
Sunder-Swedes and South Danes. Torment
ate(?) him/the hero, the best of
Northmen. He was [there/ then](?) the